November 9, 2006

If You Haven't Noticed....

I have serious issues with people telling me what to do.

Even "friendly suggestions" irritate me when people tell me more than once. Isn't it obvious, if I didn't do it the first time, I don't want to?

I think I have more serious issues with my mom telling me stuff. Like today, when she came over to watch the baby I was having a bit of trouble pumping (I know, TMFI, but look, my let-down is pretty much non-existent when I'm pumping, maybe because it's just so so sooooo weird of a sensation, and with the sound of the pump.... it just doesn't work well for me unless Taryn nurses and gets the milk flowing).

So anyway, she mentioned that maybe she'll have to give Taryn some formula today, and I kind of just shrugged it off with a flippant comment something like, "She's going to starve before I give her formula," which, may I mention, I have said before.

Because the thing is, it's not that I'm entirely opposed to formula, I've actually been considering it at night to help her sleep a bit longer if the cereal doesn't work, but look.

First off, my baby is not getting formula unless I make the decision.
Second, I have milk frozen for a reason, exactly because I don't want to give her formula right now.
Third, I'm stubborn, and I want to exclusively breastfeed as long as possible and not fuck around with the supply issue unless it's absolutely necessary.
Fourth, I'm cheap. I mean frugal. But I'm not going to open an $8 can of formula to feed her once and toss the rest because it doesn't get used.
Fifth, you've already said that I need to give her formula, or at least have it available for when you watch her, but when it comes right down to it...

I DON'T FN WANT TO

And here's the rub, I wonder if I don't want to simply because everyone and their mother (including mine) keeps suggesting that I give her formula, and I'm stubborn, and I want to do it my way, and I'm the only one suffering here, so why can't I do it how I want? I mean, babies have lived for the last howevermanyyears without it, so why does mine need it now?

But more importantly, when I tell someone I don't want to do something, why do they keep bringing it up??? I know I can be wishy-washy sometimes, but really?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, i never wanted to give my babies formula either. in fact, i don't know if i ever did! it's so much easier being a bystander. but i do think it's some maternal thing like giving them candy (that's not good for them). nursing was so much about me and my babies that it felt like formula would be a wedge between our bond. really, i forgot how sensitive i was. i'm sure my mother pissed me off with such comments too. frozen milk? never had any so never think about it. i hated pumping. okay, i gave it two tries with a manual pump and said fk it. funny how life is but a projection of ourselves. do we really see people at all???