March 20, 2007

Month Nine

T-Boogie, you are officially nine months old today!

Sweet Jesus, you are an amazing little thing. Even though for the last few weeks you haven't wanted anything to do with anyone new, this past week end at your Papa and I's five year wedding anniversary party, you were jolly as a fat man in a donut shop to sit with whoever wanted to hold you, playing with balloons, walking with Anthony, generally being the light of the party, and my life.

That top tooth has finally popped through, and actually you now have cut four teeth and two more up top are splitting. You've finally figure out how to grab onto the bumper in your crib and fall down without hurting yourself, so we're not up every hour or so to help you lay back down at night anymore. You're mastering the crawling thing, though you'd much rather stand and when you're wearing your footies, you still sometimes go in reverse instead.

And the most wonderful accomplishment of this month? You wave. And you know what it means. The first time you waved was last Tuesday to your Uncle Jeff. He had stopped by the house to say hi, and when he was leaving you lifted your little hand up and started flicking your wrist up and down. I thought it was a fluke at first, so I started saying "Say bye-bye to Uncle Jeff," and even with your index finger in your mouth, you sort of waggle your fingers in a semi-wave to say goodbye. And now Love, you wave at everyone with a giant grin on your face when they wave back.

As far as walking, you're getting closer every day. You always pull yourself up onto whatever you can reach, the railings on the crib, the couch, people's boots and pant legs... And you're a serious savage at cruising. You can go back and forth, cross over from the TV on the floor to the bed, you even cruise on a flat wall with nothing to really hold you up, but simply for balance. I've seen you let go a few times and stand by yourself for a few seconds, but I think your center of gravity is like a pregnant woman, just slightly off. But at least you aren't falling forward. I don't think you've seriously hurt yourself yet, but I'm waiting for the day. Maybe then you'll be calling out Mama?

I love seeing you play with other babies. You're a bit rough with Jackson, who comes over a couple days each week, but I think it's because even though you guys are the same size, you know he's not quite as mobile as you and you're always reaching for his binkie, or a toy, or a book he has. I'm not sure if it's a sign you're going to be a bit bossy like Mama, or that you just really like other babies, but my wish for you this month is that you become a social butterly, contratry to your genes, and that you are comfortable in crowds. I see in you a very wise, observant soul, and I hope that it balances out with a friendly, open, and honest communication style.

There hasn't really been anything funner this month than taking you to the beach for the first time. When I set you down in the sand without any socks on, you stood for a full two or three minutes squishing the sand between your toes, observing the texture, the temperature, and how it all moves all around when you do, nothing like the floors at home. Then you sat down, and slowly circled your fingers at your side, feeling how the sand parted before your hands, and peacked just out or your reach. Once you'd gotten the hang of how it moved, you plunged your hands deep into it, pulled them out covered in tiny granules, and promptly stuck them into your mouth. Duckie, I think you were born to be a beach bum. You had so much fun, laughing and giggling when I stood you up at the waters' edge, and you watched the waves rolling in and creeping back out, all the other children playing, the birds swooping and diving. And you giggly contagiously when the water almost hit your Papa and I and we ran back to teh dry sand so our shoes didn't get wet. You didn't even complain when I stuck your hands and feet under freezing cold water to rinse the sand off. It was an amazing day, and all the more special to see how much you love to explore and experience new things.

And thank God you've given up on the razzberries for the time being. People were staring to look at me kind of crazy. You are the most engaging, lovely little beast, and as always, I'm so glad you chose me as your Mama.

I love you,
Mommy.

No comments: