May 27, 2007

Smokey Wasps

P just smoked out a hive of wasps, or hornets or something. Then he picked up the nest with his tongs and threw it on the BBQ.

A couple days ago, I noticed a wasp in the house. I thought it was a fluke thing, that we had just left the door open and it happened to get caught inside. P shoo'ed it out, and we didn't think much of it until yesterday there was another one, or maybe the same one, just posted up on the living room window. T-Boog loved it, she was pointing and making faces and I started to get a little worried. it was there for hours, and I remember some folks complaining of wasp nests in their eaves a few blocks away. I looked under ours, but didn't see a thing.

Until this morning. I went outside to water my tomatoes, and noticed a couple flying around. I ran back inside (because I'm a weenie) and just watched them cruise until I figured out where the nest was. Right smack across from the patio door, up in the corner under the computer chair mat that we've been meaning to give to Arturo and Elba. The nest was pretty small, maybe the size of a small potato, and there were maybe three of four wasps flying in and out.

So P, brave man he is, decides to get a long stick, ties a towel around the end, lights it on fire, and tries to smoke them out. The towel of course burns pretty quickly, and starts falling apart, one piece on the bag of charcoal under the nest, another piece onto the chair to the side which catches on fire and starts burning away. So I'm pounding on the glass door pointing to the burning chair, which he didn't see, so scrap that idea.

Then he pulls the BBQ right up under the nest and burns some dry cornhusks which works pretty well and they fly away long enough for him to grab the nest and throw it in the BBQ to burn.

Which we thought would be fine, but now there are like 10 wasps outside, flyign around looking for their nest.

Shit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! We found a lil nest too, like a month ago... I wonder why they're making nests all over our neighborhood...