May 21, 2007

The Weeds

I started watching the Showtime comedy "The Weeds" over the weekend. It was reccommended by a couple people, and there wasn't much else at the video store that I wanted to see.

I guess it's okay, it's funny, but I really prefer hour-long shows over 30 minute ones. I think the premise of it is awesome, but the actual show I wasn't super-impressed by. And maybe I had assumed SHowtime does comedy like HBO does, but I guess not really?

I can't really pinpoint why I'm not blown away. Maybe it's so over-the-top that I have a hard time getting into it, I mean, really? The white chick selling weed to maintain her lifestyle after the hubby dies, okay. The pot-head CPA starting a cover business for her to make weed brownies? Um, yeah. Leaving her Range and her wedding ring to cover the cost until she makes some cash? Not really. Aside from the fact that her stuff is worth waaaay more and you'd have to be an idiot to leave that to cover the cost of a couple ounces (I'm guessing? :) it's just too far-fetched for me. And maybe it's just got a different humor than I like, I don't know. It all seems too boxed, too trying-so-hard-to-be-different-it's-kind-of-dumb, you know?

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to watch the whole season. I think it's funny-enough, just not as fab as I was expecting. Because it is funny. I just don't think it's very original. Maybe that's what it is. It's very cliche, thw whole outrageous-ness of it. Of course the maid finds out she's a dealer and asks for a raise. Of course she goes to an all-Black club and yadda, yadda, yadda.

The funniest person in the show? The little kid. The one who makes the crazy terrorist video, and shoots the mountain lion in the eye. Kid cracks me up, he's so weird. He's very original, in the crap they have him doing, you don't see that on normal shows.

I get bored very easily.

No comments: