November 12, 2007

Losing My Edge

Yesterday morning, as a favor to the Love of My Life, and because I really do love getting up with Boogie in the morning, I crawled out from between my crispy warm covers and padded downstairs to floors which were crispy for an entirely different reason. Mostly crushed Goldfish and dog kibble crumbs.

It was my seventh day in a row of not sleeping in. And although I am a morning person, it does get harder and harder to function that early, especially when it's pitch black outside. So as per our routine, I balance Boogie on one hip while I prepared my coffee, poured her cereal, and fed the animals. Because it's amazing how I can rationalize a 12oz cup of coffee at 6am... the 3 minutes it takes to microwave my Big Mug of milk, is exactly the time it takes to prepare breakfast for all household members downstairs at that freezing cold hour.

And I'm normally pretty close to finishing it when she's finished eating, so we play, and during her morning nap, I get ready for the day. But I was soooo tired. I felt dead on my feet, and I knew we were possibly meeting up for a playdate later, so I slipped another cup of coffee in the mix. Only 8oz, but that's already more than I have most days.

Well, the playdate didn't happen because the kids are on two opposite schedules and I think that aside from the ass-crack of dawn, she's sleeping when he's awake, and vice versa. Like, all day long. Weird. So after another couple hours of playing, subjecting my knees to the torture of being a pony on very hard floors, Boogie was down for her last nap and I was barely able to keep my eyes open. And not that a nap would have been so bad, but I just had so much to do, getting things ready for our trip and we were going to visit some family later that afternoon, so I had another cup.

And it was weird, because me? After my 12oz cup on an empty stomach? Jittery like a PArkinson's patient on crack. Seriously. My hands shake, I can't think super clearly, I'm a mess, but I sort of like the buzz so I do it a lot. But yesterday the caffeine just seemed to get me through some rough spots in he day. No jitters. No stomach pains. And I slept like a baby when we finally went to bed. And I was thinking as I fell asleep that my body knows I needs to up my tolerance to the stuff before we get to Paraguay. Because I'll be drinking coffee all day as we visit friends and relatives, and even at night too so I can stay up and party.

But it is a bit odd that my body is okay pumping that much caffeine into it in one day. All of a sudden.

1 comment:

Allison J. said...

Caffeine Rules!!! Sorry about the play date. It rained on & off all weekend so we figured it would be slippery & muddy. I was super bummed because I REALLY wanted to take Jackson and see you & Taryn. Plus Jackson took almost a 2.5 hour nap this afternoon! Crazy.