July 17, 2008

Doctor's Visit Today Was Good...

I’ve got a love/hate relationship with Google. On one hand, I love that fact that tons of information are at my fingertips, just waiting for an obscure idea to flit past my brain and lodge long enough for a little digging.

On the other hand, some of the stuff that you find can cause some serious panic to set in.

We found out on Tuesday that our ultrasound last week was abnormal. They had found a cyst on the baby’s kidney (and by the way, “Baby” is now “Frogger.” She looked like a little frog kicking around at the ultrasound today) and wanted me to come in asap for another scan and to speak to a genetic counselor.

I’ve been worthless the past few days. I couldn’t concentrate at work, I didn’t want to do anything but bake at home. I would snatch Boogie up in a bear hug for no reason as the tears streamed down my face, so grateful that I had my little girl there, and she was safe and happy and thriving, and simultaneously terrified that I might have to make a decision to terminate my pregnancy in the next few days.

See, Google told me that kidney cysts on a fetus could be nothing, or could be fatal. The doctor agreed, and though I knew the chances of Frogger having kidney disease in-utero was slim, there was still a chance. At least our worst case was ruled out today at the appointment, but we still don’t know exactly what this means.

Good news is there is only one cyst, and it looks like both kidneys are still functioning normally. I have to go back in 6 weeks for another scan to check the size of it, and there is a real possibility that Frogger will need surgery after she’s born to remove the cyst, but as long as she’s got one functioning kidney (and right now it looks like both are okay) then we should be good. The doctor said that this would be normal in a child or adult, but it is highly abnormal in a fetus.

And since there is nothing I can do about it, we’ll wait and see. Google did let me know that there are all kinds of treatments available, if needed, after Frogger is born, and that the prognosis is excellent since it has been caught so soon. I can’t even think about the bad stuff right now, dialysis or kidney transplants are not going to be floating around my head for the next 5 months, I can’t stress myself over something that I just don’t know yet. So hopefully this will be my last foray into this topic on Google, at least until my next appointment, and my last blog on the topic until Frogger is born and we find out what we need to do.

No comments: