July 19, 2006

Baby Blues

I was watching a show this afternoon called "Surviving Motherhood" on which they were discussing post-partum depression, and I started tripping off that fact that I haven't gotten it (yet).

I dealt with depression a lot when I was in high school, so I kind of assumed that I would get it, and mentally prepared myself to deal with it. Sure, there have been a couple timed in the past few weeks when I have been frustrated with Taryn when she won't stop crying, or when I have wanted to be alone and not have company, or cried at something inane. But I attribute those temporary mood swings to sleep deprivation and normal hormone level fluctuation after childbirth.

I can't imagine how it must feel for women who have severe depression, who don't want to care for their newborns, and sometimes actually hurt them. I spoke to a lot of people like that when I was working at MHN, an it astounds me how powerful the human mind is to override the joy of childbirth.

Anyhow, I know I can ask for help if I ever get there, but God willing, I won't.

No comments: