July 20, 2006

I miss my mornings

Last night I actually had 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep!

Taryn has finally decided that she will take a bottle, and last night was P-Dely's night to feed her. Of course, I woke up every time she started to cry, but to not have to get out of bed, to not have to feed her, to not even have to wake up all the way because P-Dely was taking care of everything was wonderful.

When he brought her to me at 6:30 this morning (we only have enough expressed milk for 2 feedings) I was so refreshed and energized, I've been up for 3 hours cleaning, doing laundry, and of course, expressing more milk so I can go to a babyshower this afternoon.

And I'm even more stoked because now I know we can go to the Pink Martini concert next week, and leave her with my mom. Yay!

Someone made a comment (jokingly, of course) that I was a heartless mother since my daughter is only 1 month old, and I've already left the house without her a couple of times. My serious response to that: My sanity is more important than any expectations other people have of me being a mother. I am happy for those women who can and do stay with their children 24/7, like my mom who didn't leave my brother with anyone until he was 8 months old, but I'm just not one of those people. I miss Taryn when I go out without her, and I love her more than anything, but it's important to me that I have time by myself so that I can be there 100% for her when I am with her. I have redefined my life to put motherhood first, but that doesn't mean that I have to neglect myself and my needs outside of that role, in order to fulfill my duties as a mother.

Anyhow, if she's asleep and I'm gone, no biggie. She has no idea that I'm not there, and if I was at home I'd be cleaning or sleeping anyway. Might as well get out for a bit, right?

4 comments:

Allison J. said...

Amen to that! Besides since it's my shower you are coming to I'm 100% supportive of you geting out...for a little bit!

Anonymous said...

It was nice to see you at the babyshower. I know I get to see you mroe than other people at work, but it's always nice spending time with you. Please remember that if you ever need to:
Take a shower,
Need something to eat,
Have a BM,
Run some errands,
or have the dogs taken out,
just call me. I'm here for you. Talk to you soon.
Say hi to Taryn and P for me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.