November 14, 2006

Dreaming of the Beatles

So... I had a really odd dream this morning.

These two girls that I was in Girl Scouts with ... 15 years ago? We all decided to do a concert of Beatles songs. Yeah, I know, wtf? I can only name like 2 songs, and we did do both of them, but I knew a lot of the other ones and kind of just sang along.

But we had a few problems. First, there were only three of us. And none of us knew how to play any instruments. And we didn't have a band. So we had a few people that we knew in the audience play for us, but everyone was too trashed to do it well, so it sounded really aweful. I think everyone in the sold out (yay! lol.) audience was pretty wasted, or else why would they stay so long?

So the worst part was, we were singing this one song that had like 12 verses, but we didn't know what they were. One girl had done some research and knew what each verse meant so we were trying to figure out the words as we went, which was hideous, because we'd sing a line, then stop and have a little pow-wow to figure out what the next line was, sing that, stop again ... you get the point.

So somewhere towards the end of the third verse, I was like, "F-this. If we don't get out shit together, they're all going to leave, and I already spent my part of the proceeds, so I can't refund any tickets." The other two agreed, and right then I heard this little girl screaming for help.

I jumped out of my seat and ran to the back of the stage, through these double doors, and there was a lady on crutches trying to drag this kid away. The little girl was screaming and struggling, and I was running after them but she had a pretty good head start, so I cut through a lobby, and tackled the little girl from the side right before the woman dragged her out of the building. When she saw I had her, the woman just hobbled off on her crutches.

I picked up the girl, who was maybe 4 years old, and carried her to box office part, and kept asking her what her name was, but she wouldn't say a word, she just kept sniffling and clinging to my shirt.

Then I woke up with Taryn's finger up my nose and the other three holding onto my bottom lip. Her hair was soaking wet from my drool ... again ... and she was sucking the shit out of her binkie. Maybe she was dreaming too?

Anyway, I can't figure this one out. The little girl wasn't me, the older woman wasn't me. But if they were? Maybe something about my childhood being stolen? Or my fears I'll rob Taryn of hers? I don't know. But I'd never sell-out a concert promising to sing Beatles songs. No way in hell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

maybe the beatles singer was some old school person in your life. the one on the crutches a real broken person in your life and yeah, you the kid, too young like Taryn to have words to decribe the fear and confusion and the relief that you didn't get destroyed or lost by that broken person??? hey, i'm just having fun, don't mind me...