March 29, 2007

Just a Thought

It seems to me that the thing that brings you together, is rarely what keeps you there.

In contemplating my closest friends, how we met, what we talked about in the beginning, and how our relationships are now, I'm realizing that the thing that we initally bonded over is hardly the basis of our realtionship.

I think a part of me assumed that our similarities are what would mold our friendship, and in a sense they have but only to give us an initial jumping off point; something to discuss while we got to know the real person inside. And though similarities are super-important in maintaining friendships that are in sync with your personal values, and for creating a strong foundation on which to build a relationship, I'm starting to think that it's the differences that keep us interested.

Because really, as smart and beautiful, and creative, and funny, and interesting as I am, I don't think I'd like to be around my twin all day long. Well, maybe I would because I am pretty FN cool....

But anyway, maybe I'm not a good example. I guess I just see how important it is to create a balance with people you hang out with, where opposites really do attract, and it's expected to have conflicting opinions sometimes. Learning about people's quirks and beliefs totally different from mine is part of the reason I was so interested in psychology, and I guess I'm one of those people who can really appreciate people's differences.

They might piss me off, but I can mostly see how they make you interesting to me.

Amyway, no real point here... just thinking.

No comments: