May 8, 2007

At home with with P, I'm lovey-dovey, mostly accommodating, but also very quick to point out error and proposed solutions.

When I am interacting with Taryn, I am also very loving, but much less critical, and very thoughtful in my praise.

Conversing with some friends, I am more outgoing, sharing my ideas and stream-of-consciousness freely, but with others I am reserved, more apt to listen than offer my own opinions.

In the work environment, I am super-quiet, very hesitant to call attention to myself, reluctant to offer any insight in a situation, and generally stick to myself, my office, and my business.

The more I've thought about it today, I think these are all genuine facets of my personality. I can't say that one is more "me" than another, although I do feel more comfotable in some situations than others and am more likely to be open with some people, as opposed to others, depending on the context of our relationship.

I think I am generally a reserved person. I prefer to observe a situation and get a feel for the ideas and beliefs of those in it before I make myself known, and I feel like I've almost always carried that guardedness with me. But people who know me know I'm a dork, a loud-mouthed goof when I feel comfortable, though I feel like I always try to stay conscious of my affect on others.

Maybe the difference in comfort level has more to do with the extremes in emotion that I am willing to show, which I always feel but possibly hide better from people that I don't want to know me too well. If you've never seen me pissed, that's a huge part of my personality that I haven't.. for whatever reason... shown to you.

I don't know. I almost feel like there is so much to me, it's hard to find anyone who has seen most, or all, of me. Even those people who are closest to me don't know a lot about one part of me or another, and maybe it's normal? I think it's kind of cool to have a special relationship with someone, to share inside jokes and stories, but to have some things that are only between you and someone else. I don't know if I'd be comfortable if someone knew everything about me. What if they decided they weren't impressed after all? Or they got bored with the lack of mystery?

And I don't feel like I normally intentionally withhold parts of myself, but I think in a way it's fun to be able to be that different person sometimes. If I feel like I need to vent, I can slip into the wife-role and have a glass of wine with a girlfriend and bitch about how much it sucks to be married sometimes. Or if I want to escape the wifey-ness I can dress up in a hot little outfit and go clubbing with some of my single girlfriends.

I do wish that some of my friendships could involve more than one facet of my personality, but sometimes it just doesn't work out like that, maybe because I hate using the phone, or because they already have enough people filling that role for them. Anyway, I appreciate my friends for what each brings, and I love them, and shit, my breath hella smells like garlic from lunch.

Yech....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As long as you are true to yourself and those with whom you interact it is ok. We can't share everything to everyone. Thank goodness I haven't seen that mad side of you. That means I must be doing something right or I'm far enough! :)