August 28, 2007

Boogie's New Kitty

Sometimes I sit and watch T-Boogie, and I am completely overwhelmed with how amazing she is. I have never seen a more beautiful, intelligent, friendly child in my entire life, and I don’t feel entirely biased even though I helped create her. She is truly an incredible kid, and I feel so blessed, day after day, that she chose me as her Mommy.

It trips me out how smart she is. I don’t think her father or I had that much common sense when we were her age. We took her to the Civic Center lagoon yesterday to feed the ducks all the stale chips and cereal I cleaned out of the pantry earlier in the day. When we got there, I threw a few handfuls of food so they would come closer to her. She crouched down in a semi-squat with her hands in front of her, and started calling to the geese as she slowly baby-stepped towards them. I don’t know where she learned that, with most animals including our dogs and the cat, she sort of just tumble-runs towards them, and tackles them to the ground for pets and giggles, but somehow she sensed that approach probably wouldn’t work with the ducks and geese.

Earlier this weekend, I had her on the bed just playing around with whatever we could find, an empty birth control box, the lids off perfume bottles, and clean but unfolded socks. She saw Tygir lying on P’s pillow sleeping, and crawled over to her. Now normally, we don’t let her mess with the kitty because she’s old, and doesn’t particularly like kids. I think they are too loud, too rough and too fast for her older sensibilities, but Boogie doesn’t really seem to care, and laid her head on Tygir’s side, wrapped both arms around her, and plastered this huge grin on her face. She must have lain like that for 10 minutes, one hand on the back of Tygir’s neck, one stroking her belly, and her head firmly planted on her stomach. Tygir was purring like a mad-animal, little specklets of drool dripping from her mouth, and occasionally Boogie would lift her head up, smile and me, then plop it right back down on Tygir’s side.

It was such a beautiful sight, my old cranky cat who doesn’t like very many people, snuggling with my baby. And I realized it’s not my cat anymore, she’s all Boogie’s.

No comments: