August 20, 2007

Month Fourteen

It never seems to fail that when I sit down to write to you, I can hear you miserable in the background. The entire month hasn't been this bad, but this past weekend your sleep schedule was severely disrupted, and now we are both paying for that sin. But what can two party girls do? It's a good lesson to learn early on...

This month has been pretty cool though. You really embody a toddler now, no longer my helpless little baby, you have a mind of your own and you don't mind sharing it with everyone. That may be an exaggeration, you are very well-behaved in public, but in the privacy of our home you really stretch those wings and express your opinions.

Like, you won't be fed by a spoon, unless you are up walking around. Nothing new there, except that now you won't eat finger foods yourself either, unless it happens to be frozen berries or Garden Burgers. And you want water all. the. time. The sign language is progressing well, but anything with four legs and fur is "kitty" and you want water from a cup, not a sippy cup, but an open top one you can drench yourself in, every six seconds.

And now you run, sort of. When we pretend like we're chasing you, you do this high-step baby-run which usually lasts about two feet before you fall over giggling. Hilarious. And when we say "noni" you immediately lay your head down on the closest thing you can find and pretend you're snoring. Sometimes you lie of the kitchen floor, sometimes on a dog, or a box or a book. Doesn't really matter because you find this game hilarious (and really, we do too) and do it on queue every single time. Even in the middle of Target, you'll lay on the floor and kick one leg as you giggle and stare up at us.

And there is a developing fascination with the toilet the last couple weeks. I hate to put this out there as something you may forever be teased about, but you pooped in the bathtub the other day. When I realized what you were doing, I sort of freaked out and put you straight on the toilet, and you finished your business there. It was your Papa's job to fish your angels out, and I don't know how he did it, but I hope I never have to. The next evening, you started straining in the bathtub again, so I put you on the potty again before you dirtied the tub, and you pooped there! I even gave you a square of toilet paper and you wiped at your leg. Darling, I was so proud. Thirteen months, and already pooping on the toilet, AND you knew to wipe! Although I shouldn't be surprised at that part, when you are in the restroom with me, lately you've been trying to wipe for me too. And maybe that's another thing I shouldn't just post on the internet, but it's adorable, and you are so smart to know what to do without ever being explicitly shown.

Forgive me for being in awe of you. So much seems to have come to your awareness lately that every day is a new lesson for both of us. You're now saying Mama, which could almost make my heart explode, but it's more of a demand, like "Mama, get me that NOW!" Than an "I love you Mama," tone. But beggars can't be choosers, right?

I've been trying to go on walks, but... well, we never make it much further than the curb in front of the house. There is just too much to look around at, the cedar bark on the ground, flowers, ants, pieces of plastic trash. Everything must be examined, picked-up, shown to Mama, thrown away, and then chased again. I can't imagine what you are thinking, but I like to think you understand me when I'm explaining things to you. And as of now, you are most definitely bilingual. I hope it sticks, your Papa's family is so excited that you respond and follow directions in Spanish, and I'm hoping that's also the reason you aren't really talking much. Besides Mama and Dada, you don't say much verbally, but your sign language repertoire is getting better, you've mastered hungry, water, more, kitty, poop, and probably more that I can't think of now. And you know what we're saying, though obviously you don't always listen.

So there it is Sweet-Sweet. You are amazing. You amaze me. Even though you turn off the printer and computer when I'm in the middle of working, and you try to step on the kitty when she won't let you play with her. And even now that you are always wanting to wash you hands, and then spread lotion on them, and your face, and my face, and the dogs...

I love you more than I can ever explain.

Mommy.

No comments: