October 20, 2007

Month Sixteen

Today you turned 16 months old, a rode in the car facing forward for the first time! I doubt you are 20lbs yet, but must only be a few ounces off, and I figured you won't be taking too many trips until you hit that mark so why change it in a few weeks? It was fun too, you looked around like you've never been out of the house before, and were cracking up at everything you saw fly by outside the window. I was really more worried that you'd start to be bow-legged if we kept you rear-facing much longer, you are already very tall and couldn't straighten your legs out in the back anymore.

You've done much better weight-wise this month too, gaining over 7 ounces even though a rough bout of canine-teething. The sleep has not been great, the family has been stressed, but we're making it through. You've been able to spend a lot more time with your papa the last couple weeks too, unfortunately due to crappy circumstances, but I love seeing how you two have forged such a closer bond already. Now, when I come in the house you fuss when I take you out of his arms, and the only time you want me to be nearby is when you get hurt, or are hungry. I'm happy for what I can get.

The best thing has got to be your Halloween costume though. We decided a chicken would be perfect, and took you to Sears to get some photos taken. The first one was the best, and although it went downhill from there (I think you got a touch over-heated with the hood, performance fleece, and feathers), you are always such an engaging little girl, playing with complete strangers' children, making babies laugh, and putting a smile on the faces of grumpy workers everywhere. So my wish for you this month is that you don't let the negative attitudes of other people affect your naturally rosy glasses. Life will be so much more pleasant for you if you can block out other people sometimes.

So really, this month has been slow. You've been to the doctor a few times, for a flu shot, to get weighed, and to see a nutritionist because you are built like me. Nothing special. I don't recall any new words you've learned, though your sign language skills are crazy. You can say "more please" or "food please" we're working on "thank you" but you also do the sign for please on me if I say "Mama please." I don't think I will ever understand how you got so smart so quickly.

The only drawback, you aren't exactly biligual... I try to speak to you in English, and I think between Johana and your Papa, you're picking up a lot more Spanish. It's exactly what we were hoping for, you'll have enough time to learn English in school, but sometimes I'll ask you to do something, and you look at me like I'm nuts until I repeat it in Spanish. I guess I am, sometimes. But you speak English, which is funny, except maybe we just don't understand when something is said in Spanish?

Oh! How could I forget? You've started eating red pasta sauce! For a little while, when you refused to touch lasagna, or spaghetti, I thought maybe I brought the wrong baby home from the hospital. But yes, spaghetti, garlic bread and tuna are the new favorite foods, and I'm confident again you are my baby.

I love you Boogie.

Mama

No comments: