November 19, 2007

So Long Turkey Day

Contemplating this mornng that this will be the first Thanksgiving ever without any turkey or celebration, and I'm not really that upset. I like Thanksgiving, and I love the food, but I know that while we're in Paraguay we'll have the family and the food, I don't feel like I'm missing out on so much.

It would have been nice to spend the holiday with my mom and brother, before he takes off on the cruise ship job, but I feel pretty okay with it. Thanksgiving is an odd holiday for us, because P and I bounce around from home to home, making appearances, filling up on food, then heading off to the next family gathering. When we do have people at our place to eat, it's normally Christmas, and it's stress-laden. I want people to relax and enjoy the day, but there is always a flare-up when nerves are raw and stomachs are too empty.

So I think it will be okay to be somewhere else for this holiday. Taryn is too young to complain about skipped traditions, P thinks we're weird for eating that much turkey, Nonny will be working, and we'll be in 90 degree weather soaking up the sun, gorging ourselves in organic fruits and veggies, warm beer, and tender beef.

Sounds pretty awesome to me.

No comments: