September 25, 2008

Favorites

Do you ever worry that you are going to love Z more than Taryn?”

This is the question he casually threw out last night as we were discussing Boogie going into a toddler bed this weekend, dinner to celebrate his promotion, and an agreement to hash out a name for Frogger (aka Z).

Honestly, the thought had not even crossed my mind. My big worry was that I’ll love them the same but like Boogie more than her sister. I can’t fathom a child being nearer to my heart than my firstborn, someone being as smart and beautiful and loving and sweet as Boogie is, and I honestly regretted getting pregnant for a short time, because I was so worried about what an injustice it was to bring another child into the house when I could have stopped with perfection.

But as we talked a bit more I started to wonder if our perspectives were not meeting because we had different birth orders. P is the first child for his parents, and knowing his background I can understand his concern that I, the primary caretaker and mother, would love the younger more than the older. That is what he grew up seeing and experiencing, and for him, that must be a truth in life.

I, on the other hand, was the second child, and while I never doubted my mother’s love, there have been, and still are times when I feel like my older brother is the favorite. It doesn’t bother me as much now as it sometimes did when I was younger. I consciously set out on my own at a younger age and tried to be independent, and while I maintain ties to my mother, I have my own family to care for now so I don’t feel like I expect as much from her. I wonder if my mom and brother are so close because they’ve had to struggle to get to where they are now, and they’ve grown together during that struggle? I feel like I’ve always been connected to my mom, and our struggles deepened our understanding of each other, but I have never been the Prodigal Child.

But it’s all perspective. My idea of what a ‘favorite child’ is may be very different from my husband’s, mom’s and brother’s ideas are. And a person’s actions do not necessarily betray one’s feelings, because I think parents often overcompensate for having a favorite, by spending time and energy with the neglected child. I guess in the long run it will probably even out. I’m sure there will be some times when I favor one of my girls over the other, and I’m sure that will change over time as we all pass through phases in life. I just hope that I never lose the ability to treasure each one for how beautifully different they are, and teach them to appreciate that in themselves and others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice rounded conversation!
yes, you never know what's in someone's heart and they may even be hard pressed like the sperm to explain the multiple feelings involved.
like everyone brings a mixture of positive and negative feelings to mind. does the one with the most positive rule or the one with the least negative? and how can you measure the thousand or millions of experiences to conclude? is it the depth of feeling or who brings the best of us out?
try to explain all that to a little person.
and really what is a child feeling and looking for when they ask anyway...

Anonymous said...

My mom loved all of us the same... but sad to say, my dad has his favorites, and all of us knew that. It bred resentment among my sisters and I, and I swore that I would never do that to my children. But now after having my first child, I'm afraid to have more... for fear that I'd expect my subsequent children to be just as perfect as the first.

P.S. I was the favorite.