September 20, 2008

Month Twenty-Seven

All day long I had it stuck in my head you were only twenty-six months today, but then I realized that you and your little sister should be 29 month apart, so either your birthday or my due date was off. Silly me.

I don't really know what a 27 month old kid is supposed to be like, I guess I haven't paid much attention to any that I was around, but I really should have, because you have been cracking us up lately.

We've been practicing names for a couple weeks now, I figured since you're old enough to run off and get lost, you should probably know your families names so whatever security guard picks you up in the mall, they can page us. Like you'd actually talk to a stranger. You got my name, the animals and your own fine, but when I asked you what Papa's name was, you yelled "Babe!" Which is true in a way, since that's what I call him, but probably wouldn't help much in the event of an emergency.

After you got the first names of people you see on a regular basis, we started working on last names too, but every time I say our last name, you dissolve in giggles. So I've taken to calling you "Miss C-" just to see you crack up for absolutely no reason.

We started gymnastics again this month, and I feel bad for keeping you away for so long. At the first class, as all the other kids were shy and quietly following directions, you were a whirlwind of bouncing curls and random jumping, spinning in circles with your arms flying by your sides and randomly rolling on the floor. And about halfway through the class you saw the older girls running in a big circle in another part of the gym and took off running after them. Yeah, everyone thought it was funny except your 7 month pregnant mother who had to tackle you to the floor to get you to slow down, and drag you back to the 2 year-old group.

But I'm glad you have so much energy, it motivates me to get going too even though I'm exhausted all the time. On our walk today, I was waddling along as you pushed your baby in her stroller and I noticed suddenly that you were no longer next to me. I turned around to see where you had gone, and almost peed myself (literally) when I spied you a few feet back with your hands on your hips, shaking your butt and singing something incoherent.

I don't know what has changed, but in the last couple weeks you spend hours each day singing and dancing, with a doll or stuffed animal, sometimes all by yourself in front of the mirror. Papa and I both sing to you a lot, and we all dance together, but seeing you groove to your own little beat is the most fantastic vision of freedom and self-confidence. And so my wish for you this month is that you never lose your song, and you never lose your love of dancing.

Pretty soon I'll be home with you more, and I'm excited to see you excited in the coming month as we start hitting up the pumpkin patches and get your Halloween costume pictures. You already know how to say Trick-or-Treat, and when we practice at home you hold out your hand for candy, and pretend to unwrap it and stick it in your mouth when I hand you a pretend piece. Ah, life is so easy before you relize how much real candy you'll get that day...

I love you,
Mama

No comments: