September 9, 2008

Halloweeeeeeeeeeeen

Can I be honest here, without being shot by the firing squad? I know it's an odd feeling, and I've gotten a lot of slack for saying it, but I'm not a fan of Halloween. I mean, sure, I like seeing the kids dressed up and handing out candy, but me? Dress up? Not my thing.

I much prefer the "Autumn Activities" that come with this odd-ball holiday, going to the pumpkin patch and sampling fresh cheeses, wandering through the corn maze, maybe even riding on the haywagon if I have a minor accomplice. I do like the spiced apple cider, pies, the crisp Autumn air, pretty much everything aside from Halloween day.

I find it a bit disconcerting to see grown folks dressed up in some of the things they do. I'm turned off by the over-sexualization of many costumes, and some of them honestly scare me shitless. Maybe I'm just an open book though, what you see is what you get, and I don't need a special day each year to let my inner demon loose?

But here's the thing. Please don't tell, but I am actually starting to get excited this year. I don't know if it's because I see how stoked Boogie is to wear her costume (and there's a hint, she already has one) or because the last two years she was too young to go Trick-or-Treating. I actually have a costume idea for myself in mind, and I am the person that usually figues all that stuff out on the way to the Halloween party. Maybe I'm psyching myself up knowing the proposed theme for my baby shower which I initially wasn't too keen on, but now sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

I'd like to think it's the preggo hormones that are messing with my normally stoic facade (in relation to this weird day, at least) but I don't know. I do know this year we're hitting up at least two pumpkin patches, we're carving pumpkins, I'm making fresh pie and maybe my pumpkin chocolate bread while I drink my spiced cider, and I'm living it up this Fall. We're going to as many Halloween parties as we can, Trick-or-Treating both at Northgate and at home, and I'm sure Boogie is planning to wear her costume every day for the next 2 months as well.

No comments: