January 29, 2009

Month Two

Happy Second Month Milestone Dimples!

You really do have the most adorable dimple on one cheek. You have one on the other side too, but it is just a tiny tease of a dimple. The one on the left side is big enough to stick a cookie in, and when you smile, and my goodness you are quick to smile, it just caves into your chunky round little cheeks. You've been smiling at Taryn for almost a month, and at me for about 3 weeks. Your whole face lights up, and you start cooing and giggling. Any rough days we've been through just disappear when you smile at me and I feel like the world is at our fingertips.

You've also started grabbing at toys, my hair, pretty much anything within reach, but have no interest in the dogs or the cat. Which is probably good, you all will have years together to torment each other. You have been an amazing sick patient, catching your first cold from Papa with sniffles, coughing and these little sneezes that remind me of the pet rats I had when I was a kid. Just a tiny little sound, but snot comes flying out your nose and promptly gets sucked back up. Ooops. But since you've been sick the past 3 days, you've transitioned back into your crib at night and for naps, and you're sleeping 3-4 hour stretches so I feel so energized in the morning and ready to tackle the task or entertaining you and your sister.

We've been lucky for the past week that Granny has been staying with us. Your Nana's mom is a wonderful person, and I hope she is around here long enough for you two to really spend some time together. She has been a God-send, cleaning the house so I can focus on spending time with you girls, and sharing her vast wealth of knowledge with your Papa and I. It is lovely to see you two together, and though you prefer for me over anyone else to soothe you, Granny has become quite good at walking you around the house to keep you occupied while I put your sister down for a nap or get ready for the day. You guys make each other smile, and with the past few years Granny has had, I think you are helping her to enjoy small pockets of life again. My wish for you this month is for me also, because I hope and pray that when you have kids I will be around to help you with them, and that your Nana will be here as well to spend time with any you choose to care for. It makes an incredible difference in life and love to have time to focus on what matters, instead of the monotonous daily chores to cross off the list.

Kid, I dropped you on your head yesterday. I've got a bruise on my butt the size of a plum, so I took most of the force, but as I was bouncing you on the exercise ball to help you sleep, it exploded and I crashed to the floor. I mostly caught you, but the momentum of the fall caused you to bounce off my lap and bump your head on the deflated rubber ball, and the hard floor beneath it. You're fine, though my hands were shaking I was so scared your collarbone snapped again or something, and you screamed bloody murder for about 30 minutes non-stop. I was pacing the block out in the sun, in my socks, trying to calm you down, and though you were inconsolable for that time, you showed no ill effects from the fall. Unlike my derriere. It was the first time your head hit the floor, but surely not your last.

All in all, it's been a mellow month. Yes, there are problems in the house, but I'm confident that you won't remember them, and I don't want to give them power by putting them out in the universe. I hope you know that no matter what happens to this family, you are loved, you will always be loved and treasured, and nothing will ever change that. You have my heart, Gorilita.

I love you.
Mama

No comments: