May 20, 2009

Month Thirty-Five

Well Sugarpie, we're almost there! (This first line was written on the 20th. Now, a few days later when I have time to finish this blog, things have changed...drastically).

Sweet Angelbaby, last night you pooped on the potty. The week before I went back to work after your sister was born, you woke up one morning and said "Mama, I need to go pee." Two days later you were able to stay dry in your pull ups all day long (except while you were sleeping) and aside from the predictable poop that came every time you went down for a nap you were doing a fantastic, quick job of potty training. Even at the park you would run up to me and tell me you needed to go potty, and you held it while I wrangled you, me and your sister in the dingly metal stall, jumping over puddles on unknown liquid on the floor, and somehow trying to get us all out of there just as clean and when we went in.

I had joked for the last 8 or so months that you would be in diapers until you were 10 because you showed absolutely no interest at all in potty training. People told me how hard it would be to have 2 kids in diapers, but I'll tell you, it was a lot easier to let you pee in your diaper, than it is now trying to get you up on a toilet while I balance your sister on one hip, and wiping? All I can say is I'm glad I haven't dropped you on your face yet because it is a feat of physics to do it one-handed in a public restroom. But kid, you are such a champ. Aside from the half-pee you do to get candy more often (pee a little, then pee again 10 minutes later) I am amazed at how quickly the process was, and now that you are pooping in the potty too, words cannot describe how proud of you I am. You sticker calendar to record how many times you went potty each day is completely full, and I'm thinking by your birthday you'll be in undies full-time if you want to be.

I did go back to work this month, but you have taken to daycare like a frog to water. The first day I went to pick you up, you started crying that you wanted to stay and play longer. It makes me so happy to see you having so much fun, you napped with no problem, and are generally thriving and content there. The only complaint I have is that I haven't gotten any artwork to bring home, but I can discuss that with your caretakers later. :)

My wish for you this month, Darling, is that you continue to adapt so fluidly to the changes that will be thrown at you in life. I know it was hard to have me home for 6 months then suddenly I'm back at work and you are being bounced around to different places each day of the week. And although I am happy that you are with family 5 days per week, I think putting you in daycare has shown me that you are much more adaptable now than you were as a baby, and I hope that adaptability sticks with you, as it will be vital later in life.

Before I sign off, I want to tell you that your Papa bought me a digital picture frame for Mother's Day this year. It was supposed to be for work, but is absolutely enormous, so I think we're going to keep it at home. I brought it upstairs so that I could download the photos to it, and the box is sitting outside my bedroom door. Every time you notice the box, you run to me and say 'Happy Mother's Day.' Thank you for being your wonderful self.

I love you Baby,

Mama.

1 comment:

joyfulsoul said...

That's MY granddaughter she's talking about!!
I couldn't prouder or love her more than I do...