July 22, 2006

I wish someone had told me

(Ally, you may or may not want to read this....)

I was talking to TC last night, telling her some more details of my labor, and I realized there were a few things that happened that I wish someone had told me before I had Taryn. Of course, it might have freaked me out even more, or made me more paranoid/anxious/embarassed about the whole thing, but still would have been nice to know.

So here are my additions to the "Girlfriends Guide to Labor":

1. When you go into labor, your digestive system speeds up...a lot. I spent a lot of time on the crapper between when my water broke, and when Taryn was born.

2. On the flip side of that, vomiting is normal. Evidently. The nurses said it was a sign that my labor was progressing.

3. IV drugs may not help. They are supposed to "take the edge off" but they just made me sleepy, which helped me to relax more between contractions, but didn't do didly squat for the pain.

4. If you don't like IV's, drink a lot of water while you are in labor. Because nurses are no joke when it comes to your baby's health (as they shouldn't be), and even if you don't want to have an IV in your arm, they'll make you get it.

5. Walking hurts. They tell you that in the childbirth classes, but real contractions get much, much, much more painful when you walk, though it does help your labor along. If you can stand it, do it. Mine were topped out from the jump, so I pretty much stayed in bed the whole time.

6. Take a shower. Sounds odd, and I was totally skeptical that it would help, but an hour later, I felt so much better and was super-refreshed (as much as I could be) to start pushing.

7. Your body doesn't always wait until you are 10 centimeters to start pushing. I was only 8 and pushed through the last two (accidentally...you'll see) before I realized that I wasn't physically ready to have a baby yet. If the nurse says not to push, try your damnest not to, you may regret it later.

8. Hurricane Spray. It's a lifesaver if you have a vaginal delivery. Just ask for it, they'll give you one for free.

9. Don't let people guilt you into having visitors before you are ready. I felt like an aweful person after Taryn was born, because I didn't want to deal with anyone. I wanted time to get to know her better, to let her jaundice improve, figure out how to nurse, and let both of us rest, because childbirth is physically and emotionally exhausting. The only people that get mad at you for not letting them see the baby right away are people who are thinking of themselves, so if you need more time, a day, or a week, before the new baby meets the entire family, just remember that you are taking care of yourself.

10. Last but not least, don't let your partner leave your side. P-Dely was hungry, tired, and had to use the restroom for most of my labor, but refused to leave my side until Taryn was out and safe. he wouldn't even eat the food my mom brought since I couldn't eat anything either. He knows me better than anyone, and was the biggest help through my labor, feeding me ice chips, giving me massages, encouraging me to focus, getting nurses when I needed them, and staying with the baby in NICU so I didn't have to worry if she was okay.

That's it. For me, it hurt like hell, but learning what I needed, and needed to do wasn't difficult. And don't be afraid to make weird sounds or faces, the nurses have seen everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah... it's just recently that I've started thinking of that aspect... in my mind, I jumped from picturing pregnancy to picturing the baby in my arms. Ha ha, that's a false reality. So yeah, the scared shitless-ness is starting to set in. Thank god I you're around to assuage my fears!