July 12, 2006

So alike, yet so incredibly different

Yesterday, going with Nonna to look at a changing table, we were ranting about how much we are annoyed by people that change lanes at the last minute to take an exit off the freeway, or who don't plan ahead in life in general, and how we are always the super-conscience people who are trying to make things easier for others, and I suddenly realized (though I knew this on some level, but maybe just didn't really see it) that my mother and I are so alike in many of our thoughts, beliefs and values, but personality-wise we are very, very different.

I guess it struck me yesterday, because I was thinking about my own daughter, and imagining how we would get along when she is older, being that both of us are Geminis. And I started thinking about the conflicts that my mother and I had, and still have, and I started to realize that we don't normally disagree on the heart of an issue, but we approach it in such radically different ways that we necessarily clash. She is more of an emotional, in-your-face type of person, while I am much more reserved and logical (usually).

I think that the reason that we are able to always work out our differences is that in the end we both are trying to resolve the issue with as little hurt as possible, and at the same time we try to figure out solutions so that the same issue does not present itself again. While some people battle about the same problem over and over again, I feel like we are always able to find new things to fight about. :)

No comments: