July 29, 2006

There's no nice way to say this...

Let me preface by saying that I am super-grateful that I am healthy, that I enjoy exercise to some degree, and that Taryn has influenced me to take better care of myself, so that in return I can take better care of her.

But something that is beginning to irk the shit our of me, goes something like this:

Stranger: Your baby is so beautiful!

Me: Thank you.

Stranger: How old is it?

Me: She's five weeks

Stranger: Ohmygod, you look so good! You are so skinny!

Me: Thanks, I'm still a bit bigger than I was before, but I'm working on it.

Stranger: You should be grateful that you are that skinny already. When I had my child...... (the rest varies, but is the same old shit).

So look, yes, I am grateful that before I had my daughter, I was pretty slim, so obviously after she was born and the stomach disapeared, I am still pretty slim.

But here's the rub, I am not as skinny as I used to be. It may not be obvious to a lot of people, but I still can't wear a damn thing in my closet, and it irks me. I have 4 pairs of pants that have no elastic that I can wear now, and looking at everything else in my closet is frustrating because I can't wear any of them.

Not to mention shirts. I can't wear anything super-form-fitting because I still have a pouch, and since my pants don't fit right it 1) looks sloppy and 2) is uncomfortable. So that eliminates most of my wardrobe, and abotu 90% of the rest I can't wear becasue I'm nursing.

And maybe what amplifies it is my husband laughing at me that I don't fit into my clothes, laughing at me that I have a roll now when I sit down, then laughing at me that I get upset that he's laughing.

I know it's all for a good cause. I'd take a lot worse of a body (and probably will with the next kid) to ensure my baby is happy and healthy, but it's still hard to go from one place physically to a completely different place without this sort of hiccup of getting used to it.

And look, I'm not complaining about the physical changes per se, more like I hate people's reaction to it, whether it be laughing, or telling me I should be grateful. I appreciate when people tell me I look good, don't get me wrong, but don't jump down my throat if I don't agree with you.

I need some brownies now.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

rotfl!! Here.. some brownies!!

It's been 3 1/2 years since my baby and stuff doesn't just shrink back where it used to be anymore. Skinny or not skinny.

I keep saying I'm going to raise Katie to be a world reknown plastic surgeon so she can fix what she did to her Mommy in those 42 weeks.

Anonymous said...

What size do you wear? I literally have some bags of jeans and shorts in the hallway that I haven't been able to fit into and were under my bed this entire past year (of course, until Granny saw to it that I didn't HAVE a bedroom anymore, but that's niether here nor there). They probably aren't your style and will go to Goodwill if you don't want them, but speak now or you know the rest!
LOL
P.S. If it will make you feel better, I will agree it's a bunch of bull, too; but it's what we signed on for, so just laugh back at Pedro when he's 40 and doesn't have the excuse of having had a baby but looks like he's going to have one; Taryn will be old enough then to join in, too; Julia will be first to coach her if you want. She's good at that kind of thing.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah; Julia was in town tonight, and I've already had my first dose of fattening food for the night, but now you've reminded me... I'm going to go smoke (a cigarette). Smile.
I don't have any brownies, but those KitKats in the cupboard have my name on them as my ovulation continues.