January 18, 2007

Stupid Non-Mother Kaiser Nurse

I called Kaiser last night to check on a couple cold medications to make sure they were okay to take while I'm breastfeeding. While I was talking to her, since she seemed very nice and more informed than a lot of the other nurses I've spoken to, I decided to ask her the burning question: "Can Taryn go 5 hours without milk, twice per day?"

I hadn't gotten a chance to ask her pedi at her appointment yesterday because a nurse just came in to give Taryn her flu shot, then we left. Then nurse I spoke to was nice, and readiy admitted she didn't have any information on that specific question, since it was concerning my let-down being non-existent at work, and not weaning Taryn. She said she understood not wanting to give her formula, and decided to email Dr. M to get his opinion on the situation. She even read to me what she was sending, to make sure it was accurate.

This morning, a different, stupid Kaiser nurse called me at work. First off, I said to call my cell, but, okay, maybe she just wasn't completely on top of things that early in the morning. Right off the bat though, she started pissing me off.

"Hi, you called last night with some questions about breastfeeding?"

No, I don't have any problems breastfeeding. I'm having problems with my let-down reflex at work.

"Oh, okay. Well, have you tried fenugreek?"

I'm drinking that tea right now. But listen, I've probably tried everything you're going to suggest, like massage, and meditation, deep breathing, visualization, drinking more water...

"Well, have you tried Brewer's Yeast or Mother's Milk tea? Those can increase your milk supply."

But like I already said, I don't have a problem with supply, just my let-down. I can nurse her fine, it's pumping at work that isn't working. I really just wanted to know if nursing her every 5 hours is enough while I'm away at work, with solids in between.

"Maybe it's stress? Stress can affect your let-down."

Well, obviously. I already know that. I need help to fix this situation, and I need to know how long she can go without milk since I'm only getting 2 ounces each time I pump.

"Well, that's not enough milk for her. You're going to have to supplement with formula if you can't pump more than that."

[So now I'm thinking, this stupid bitch just told me I don't make enough milk for my child. She said stress will affect my let-down, but the wench tells me I'll have to supplement if it doesn't get better so my child basically doesn't starve, but still doesn't give me any suggestions] Right. I don't want to supplement, so is there anything you can tell me to help with my let-down so I don't have to?

"No. I've never heard of this problem before."

[Stupid, worthless excuse for a woman! Obviously you don't have kids or you'd have heard of this, and you might be a little more willing to help me out. Not say shit that's going to stress me out even more. I hate you! I have Kaiser! I hate advice nurses!] Well, okay. You're not very helpful, you know? I think I'll have better luck looking on the internet. Click.

Seriously, how do these people get jobs? I didn't even have time to shut my office door before the tears were streaming down my face. So all this coupled with a crippling stomache-ache, a sinus infection ... just too much. So I called P.

[Sniffling] Baby, I need to talk to ...

"I'm busy, can I call you back?"

I know the world doesn't revolve around me, but can I get a second of someone's time to figure out what the fuck is wrong with me? This is so damn frustrating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww, lady, you can always come visit next door :)
I don't have any mommy answers (yet), but my mommy's always available. I know she wouldn't mind :)