January 7, 2007

Superman

I'm not a fan of most big-budget movies. For the most part, the animations and such are interesting, but the plot lines are so similar that I really can't get into them. But I watched Superman Returns last night, and I'm so bummed out I didn't see it at the theatre.

(Speaking of theatres, P and I were talking and figured out the last movies we saw in one was Saw. The first one. Like 3 years ago. How sad is that?)

Anyway, I was kind of disappointed when I saw he rented Superman, I figured it would be like all those other comic books-turned-big-screen flicks, but twenty minutes into it I realized that I was totally engrossed, and standing up watching it. Yeah, you read that right. I was standing next to the breakfast bar, so into the damn flick that I couldn't even sit down to relax and watch it.

I don't think the actual movie was that great, I mean, it was what I expected. But it brought back so many memories of growing up and watching the old Christopher Reeves Superman movies with my brother, gasping with horror when he'd be de-Super'ed by some hunk of kryptonite and cheering when he'd finally defeat the bad guy. And I never realized how integral a part Superman was in my childhood until I had to explain the back stories to P, who had never seen them. Cracking jokes about the glasses being Clark Kent's disguise, and the plastic curl that Superman always had on his firehead, and explaining the love-triangle between Clark, Lois and Superman...

I think Kevin Spacey was great as Lex Luthor. Really, his timing is awesome, and the facial expressions are so damn believeable. But I do have a question. Did they use the old Marlon Brando footage for this one? Because either they photo-shopped the hell out of those cheecks and had him do his thing before he passed away, or they just used the old one. I havent seen it in forever, but I'm guessing it was the same, right? And I'm not completely sold on this little kid as Superman. He looks kind of plastic-y, and just too dang young. But, I'll let him have his glory for now.

And for Tere, I'll admit, I did like it. But Wolverine would still kick Superman's ass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked it so much. We saw it in the theatres and it really was much better with the gigantic screen. Maybe we'll catch the next one at the theatre. They did use the old Marlon Brando footage that had not been used in the first film. He had already passed away by the time they started filming this one.
I'm still on Superman's side!