October 8, 2007

How Soon is Too Soon for Christmas?

Driving to work this morning, the fog hovering over the edge of a near mountain, I started to imagine my drive to work as the Winter chill gets deeper. For some reason, lights look brighter to me, the rain makes everything sparkle, and everything reminds me that it is the Christmas season.

It's probably psychological, but there are some things I don't notice until after Thanksgiving, like when you are on 101 South, just past Northgate on a dark evening, the rows of head- and brake lights look like strings of decoration I'd hang on my Christmas tree. And the rain smells sweeter than it does in the Summer. The air is crisp, not freezing like in the Fall, but clear and it sharpens the appearance of the leaves on trees.

I was wishing this morning that I had a Christmas CD to pop on. I'm one of "those people" who gets excited that right after Halloween they start the jolly-jingles that loop over the intercom at department stores. If my husband would allow it, I'd buy a Christmas tree before Thanksgiving and keep it up until Valentine's Day. I bake full-fat cookies, and hand them out to neighbors, co-workers, and maybe this year the postman too. I love buying gifts, spending hours deciding in the perfect present, then come home, fill a glass with wine, and spend twice as long wrapping them up. I love to cuddle under a blanket with the smell of soup on the stove, the patter of rain outside, and a hot cup of chocolate nestled in my hands.

There is something so sweet and magical about Winter, and Christmas really is my favorite holiday. I hate how people turn it into a stressful, competitive time, worrying they are not buying enough, not spending enough. I've had so many broke Christmases, and I feel grateful for that because I feel like I can appreciate the Holidays for what they are meant to be. A time to spend with family and friends, and just be together enjoying each others' company. I incorporate Jesus into mine, but I don't think that's requisite.

Anyway, I think I'm going to start early this year, because I plan on doing all gifts homemade. At least for the adults. Big plans folks. I'm stoked. Taryn will love the lights and such, opening her gifts, eating all the yummy food, and especially beign with family.

No comments: